Near the Dragalevtsi residential area of Sofia, about 1.5 kilometers southwest is the Dragalevski monastery “St. Mary of Vitosha”. It was established by Tsar Ivan Alexander (ruled 1331 – 1371 AD) in about 1341 and remained after the Ottoman conquest in 1382. The monastery church was renovated and painted in 1476.
The monastery complex consists of a church, residential buildings and outbuildings. In the 17th century it also had a monastery school. The monastery had provided refuge for the revolutionist Vasil Levski (1837 – 1873).
The monastery was declared a cultural monument. The library holds its early liturgical books and a manuscript of the 4th Gospel of 1534 AD. 15 August – the day of the Virgin Mary was chosen for a memorial day.